Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common sexual wellness problem among men that has been rising in numbers drastically over the years. Due to the stress that’s associated with modern metropolitan lifestyle men below the age of 30 are also starting to have problems like ED. This condition was previously associated only with ageing men as a part of age-related health problems. So, what’s causing this rise in ED cases among men of all ages? To understand that, let’s first define what qualifies as erectile dysfunction, its causes, and how you can get ED treatment in Delhi.
What Qualifies As Erectile Dysfunction?
Everyone has moments where they can’t perform sexually. Every isolated incident of not being able to maintain or get an erection doesn’t qualify as erectile dysfunction. There are three conditions that qualify as erectile dysfunction if they persist.
- Not being able to get an erection firm enough for sex
- Not being able to maintain an erection
- Serious reduction in sexual desires
If the problems persist to the point it start hampering your quality of life, feel free to visit an erectile dysfunction causes doctor in Delhi. They will help you understand the underlying conditions that may be causing ED. But before you visit the doctor, let’s learn about the common causes of weak erection to help you understand your condition better.
Common Erectile Dysfunction Causes
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by both physical and psychological reasons. Understanding the reasons or causes of ED can help you get over the problem yourself. With the right physical therapy and medical treatment, almost all cases of ED based on the underlying causes can be treated. With that being said, let’s explore the different physical and psychological causes of ED.
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is one of the primary causes of erectile dysfunction in men. Studies have shown that drinking alcohol interferes with brain functions. The brain sends messages to the penis to fill with blood upon arousal. Drinking too much alcohol can make it difficult for your brain to send those messages, causing ED. For people who suffer from alcohol addiction, it can reduce the production of testosterone in their body, which can also be a cause of ED.
- Sleep disorders: Sleep is necessary for the normal physical functioning of your body. Alcoholism affects your sleep cycles as well. Problems like insomnia can affect your sleep cycle independently too, all of which can lead to problems like ED. Specific sleep disorders like nocturia, and obstructive sleep apnea are very common causes for ED. It is important to get your sleep problems fixed, and it can make a drastic improvement to any ED problems you may have.
- Low testosterone levels: Low testosterone levels can be caused by several health problems. If your doctors suspect low testosterone levels to be the cause of ED, they will ask you to get blood tests to understand the underlying cause of low testosterone levels. Based on your age, lifestyle, and general health, doctors may recommend a course of treatment to you that helps you treat ED.
- Obesity: A lot of people consider ageing is a cause of ED, but it is not. Obesity is a much greater risk of ED compared to ageing. Obesity causes hormonal imbalance in the body which in turn increases your risk of ED. It is important to maintain a healthy body weight as you grow older. Doctors may be able to help you with appropriate lifestyle and dietary changes to reduce your risk of obesity and in turn ED.
- Diabetes: Diabetes can cause obesity and it can also cause hormonal imbalances in your body. Based on the type of diabetes you have, doctors will put you in a dedicated treatment plan to manage diabetes. It will include medical treatment as well as lifestyle and dietary changes. With better management of your diabetic levels, you should see improvement with problems like ED.
- Smoking & tobacco use: Smoking causes problems with your circulatory system. Smokers are considered at a high risk of conditions like ED because of the circulatory risk it possesses. Studies have shown that smokers are twice as likely to develop conditions like ED. Quitting smoking is the only way to treat ED, if it is the underlying cause for your condition.
- Relationship problems: Sexual arousal and intimacy is optimal when there’s a clear line of communication between the two partners involved. If you are distressed in the relationship it can be difficult to get aroused and perform sexually with your partner. Doctors will often recommend counselling and therapy to couples suffering from relationship problems to improve their sex lives. If ED is being caused by psychological causes only, these treatment options generally help treat the condition.
- Stress: Stress is complicated because everybody is stressed nowadays, but everybody doesn’t have ED. The thing is, stress has different effects on your body and long-term stress even causes physical health problems for your body. From eating disorders leading to obesity and sleep issues, stress can negatively impact your health in many ways. This makes managing stress a very important part of dealing with problems like ED.
- Mental health problems: Problems like depression can be a major cause of problems like ED. This is mainly because depression can reduce your sex drive drastically, which can cause ED. You must get medical help as and when required if you feel you are experiencing symptoms of depression. With the right medical treatment and counselling, it is possible to find improvements in your sex drive and with problems like ED soon after you start treatment.
Erectile dysfunction is an important medical condition that people don’t talk about enough. Even though medically the condition is treatable in most cases, people don’t come forward with their issues leading to delayed diagnosis and the need for extensive medical treatments. It is possible to find easy and discreet ED treatment in Delhi. If you are experiencing any problems, feel free to visit us at MASSH or check out our website to learn about lifestyle changes you can do yourself to improve your sexual health.